Welcome to the Aln Angling Association
The River Aln rises in the Cheviot hills running east to the North Sea at Alnmouth. The Association water commences at Denwick Bridge half a mile East of Alnwick and ends at the Duchess’s bridge at Alnmouth.
The fishing season runs from 1st February 1st to 31st October.
Both banks may be fished, and wading is allowed.
The Association water is approximately four and a half miles in length.
There is a short exclusion zone which runs from Lesbury old road bridge down to Lesbury footbridge between which no access or fishing is allowed.
The river is fly fishing only, for the majority of the water and there are some fine streamy pools particularly in the Hawkhill bridge area.
There is a restriction on rod length of 10 ½, foot and no full sinking fly lines are allowed. Sink tip lines are permissible provided the sinking tip does not exceed 10 feet in length.
Below the footbridge at Lesbury the river is tidal and spinning and worm fishing are both allowed. Worm fishing for Brown Trout may not commence until after 1st June. No prawn or shrimp fishing is allowed.
The tidal stretch is where the majority of Sea Trout and Salmon are caught mainly to spinners. Full rules and regulations are displayed on the reverse of the permit.
Following advice from the Rivers Trust a decision was made to stop stocking the river with triploid Brown Trout as it is considered detrimental to native stock. (A noticeable decline in Sea Trout was seen when triploid fish were being stocked).
The river was last stocked in 2015.
The river has recently been classified by the Environment Agency as a Recovering River and therefore ALL Salmon caught MUST be returned unharmed to the water.
Following changes to the North East netting, migratory fish will now have an easier passage into the river, and it is hoped that there will be a significant improvement to fish stock particularly in the autumn.
Annual Salmon – includes Sea and Brown Trout – £80 (Concessionary £50)
Annual Brown Trout – £50 (Concessionary £30)
Monthly – includes Sea and Brown Trout – £45 (Concessionary £30)
Weekly – includes Sea and Brown Trout – £40 (Concessionary £20)
Daily – includes Sea and Brown Trout – £20
Daily Junior (Juniors 16 Years and under) – Brown Trout only – £5
Under 12’s may fish the river for free as long as they are accompanied by an adult.
A current national rod license is required.
Permits may be purchased from:
Country Store, Hardy’s, Willowburn Estate, Alnwick, Northumberland, NE66 2PF
01665 602771 (option 5)
Permits can also be obtained by post from the association secretary:
Mr G Pentleton, 66 Fairfields, Alnwick, Northumberland, NE66 1BT
To apply by post, please download and return application form.
1. From Alnwick turn down at the war memorial and just before Denwick Bridge there is a lay-by with ample parking.
2. From Alnwick take the Alnmouth Road and after the second bus stop on the left turn left and follow the lane down under the fly-over where there is parking for 2-3 cars. This is Peters Mill Bridge.
3. Continue Further along Alnmouth Road and you will come to Hawkhill Bridge. There is parking in the lay-by on the left, just up the hill.
4. At Lesbury there are various parking areas near the roundabout.
5. In Lesbury village there is a car park just past the Post Office. Park here then walk down the lane and fish below the footbridge. This is a tidal stretch.
6. At Hipsburn turn at the roundabout, up the hill past the Railway Station look for a sign on the right to Greenrigg and Bilton Farm. Turn here and follow the road down to the river where there is parking for 2 cars.
Please use the contact form below if you have any queries